Friday, January 27, 2012

Assumptions Make the World Go Round

I was reading a forum discussion last week about polyamory and spiritual/religious practices. I was mainly reading it for something to do – the discussion was a few years old and I didn't want to resurrect it, but one post caught my eye. This person stated that, by definition, a practising Christian
would be against polyamory as it is a sin against God and man.

All practising Christians are against polyamory.

Hi, I'm Isobel. I'm a polyamorous, practising Christian.
I'm also a woman. As a woman, I enjoy knitting, the company of small children, baking, wearing make-up, reading the gossip columns in glossy magazines and watching reality tv. (Two of those are correct)
I'm exaggerating the point. The original comment on the forum thread wasn't inflammatory, or insulting and I have taken it entirely out of context.

It does still raise a valid point for me. People tend to assume that Christians will not be open to or accepting of polyamory. I do it to! I met a young woman today who seemed nice, and we were chatting. I referred to my boyfriend and girlfriend as 'friends'. I often do this with strangers as we're closeted, but I was even more cautious about this woman as we had previously been talking about what churches we attend. I, a polyamorous Christian, was assuming that another Christian would have a problem with my lifestyle.

Why did I do that?
My best answer is because I've had...issues in the past with other Christians making incorrect, hurtful assumptions about me because I happen to form multiple romantic attachments. Yet, I do know better. We're not all like that. Both of my partners are Christian. My ex-girlfriend is Christian. I have Christian friends who have no problem with my lifestyle.

I guess the trick here is just to keep standing up and declaring my faith, my loves, and the compatibility of both. And maybe being a little less judgemental myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment