Monday, March 19, 2012

On Being a Grown-up

I turned 25 over the weekend. In my head, this is a very grown-up sounding age. It's the age that I associate with paying one's one taxes, buying food, going to work and not staying up until 3am playing computer games. Never mind that those are things I've been doing (or not, in the case of gaming) for several years, 25 means that it's official.
I'm an adult.

This was kind of compounded by the fact that we went to look at houses on Saturday! Houses to buy! I've never looked at houses to buy before :D Much less with people I am 'settling down' with, and with whom I'm planning a future. I feel like I should be scared, like I should be being dragged into adulthood kicking and screaming, pleading to stay in immaturity for just one more year. I'm not, though. Not scared, not being dragged, and have no interest in being immature (mind you, I've never been a particularly immature person). I am enjoying this new stage in life. Having to consider other people when I buy bedding is a strange, new restriction, but it's one I like. Being asked how I feel about a certain bedframe is new and reassuring. This feels right for me. Being a grown-up and not living the student lifestyle anymore, even though I'm going back to university in August. I don't think I told you. I got an offer from Hopkins, which I accepted! Brown turned me down a couple of days later.

I feel strangely grown-up, and not the least bit upset about it. Hooray!

Now, I'm off to play computer games until about 7.30pm, when I will sensibly have dinner. Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment