Monday, February 27, 2012

Letters I'll Never Send

Dear Chu,

It's such a clear and sunny day here in DC. I was walking down the road and got a sudden sense of Japan in the spring. I have no idea why. It's not warm enough yet, it smells entirely different here and most of the people you see are caucasian. I still felt it though.

Do you remember when we were walking up the hill to one of the temples we visited? It felt almost exactly like that. I have a lot of memories from that trip that still make me smile. Remember seeing the geisha in Kyoto? And going to Ueno Zoo in Tokyo with Ayako? I had such a great time.

I still think about you, sometimes. Hard to spend four years with someone, planning a future together, and totally shut them out when things end. Or when I ended things, more accurately. I know it wasn't easy for you, and I probably didn't handle it well. Actually, ignore that. I was 18. I KNOW I didn't handle it well.

I hope that you're happy, and that life is good for you. I hope you love what you do, and love who you're with. I am happy. Life isn't turning out for me the way I hoped it would when I was 16. I'm not working as a designer. I'm not even trying to get into design - I'm an academic now. There are no children, but, I don't want them now. There's no real prospect of a husband, but I have two beautiful people with whom I'm in love. I live on the other side of the world, not in Scotland.
I am happy.

I think about you, sometimes. I hope you're happy too.

With fondest memories,
Neko

No comments:

Post a Comment